Friday, July 21, 2006

Blog Name Dissection

I wish I had a more clever way of figuring out a cutesy blog name, but nothing about me is cutesy, hence even something as simple as a blog name had to have some sort of meaning.

So, what is "Ku'ulei Ali'i"?

Let's break it down - Hawaiian to English:

Ku'u: If used in the possessive, it means "My Sweet".

Lei: As a noun, this means a garland, usually flowers, leaves, or shells, given as a symbol of affection; if used figuratively, it means "beloved child, wife, sweetheart" so called because a beloved child was one that was carried on the shoulders of the bearer, draped like a lei.

Ali'i: Chiefess, ruler, noble, king, queen, commander, royal, regal, to rule or act as a chief, govern, reign, to become a chief or chiefess.

So all together, there are many meanings, and I take all of them into my heart. My father named me "Kuulei" - my sweetheart - and truly I was his sweetheart, his firstborn daughter, and he was my sweetheart, "Kuuipo", that is in his middle name.

And the "Ali'i", well it is the goal to which I aspire, if you understand religion you'll understand what I am talking about - "to become royal" - it is the path I am on, that we are all on, we just sometimes forget about it amongst the tedium of days gone by - but truly, one day, adorned with wisdom, I hope to rise up and be this Ku'ulei Ali'i.

Pretty deep huh...yeah, I know.

9 comments:

~j. said...

YAY!!! I'm so happy that you've created this. It's so much fun. Welcome. I love you.

QueenScarlett said...

Saw you off of ~J's site... I think that's how everyone in blogging land meets. ;-)

So I'm in the process of figuring out a name for my second daughter...

You sound like you know what you're talking about...re: Hawaiian names. ;-)

I like Malia (might spell it Melia) I read it means calm, peaceful... which is what this baby has been in my belly.

My hubby's not quite buying into it - because he says it rhymes with Kalea (first daughter-meaning joy - righteous). But I think it fits prefectly.

We did get a suggestion from someone for Ililani which means unexpected good fortune. Which could work because number 2 is a surprise. But I can't seem to get it to roll of the tongue. At first I thought it was pronounced without the second 'l'... which I think is pretty... but if I have to do the second 'l'... it gets all caught in my mouth. Help? ;-)

Carina said...

HOORAY! I'm so happy to see you here. Heard your news, very very VERY excited for you.

My Ku'ulei said...

Thank you for your blogging coolios who left comments, that was awesome!

To Queen Scarlett - btw, love your name, I completely understand your thoughts about finding the right baby name - I have always believed that it gives the child a foundation and connection to either the family or deeply held beliefs or values.

I really like Malia too, but I understand your husband not wanting your daughters to be too much alike - maybe he wants them to be distinct - if so, good for him, that is wonderful :)

It seems like you don't have a real connection with the name "Ililani", but if you are open to looking at other names, based on meaning etc..., let me suggest a web site to visit. It is http://www.alohafriendsluau.com/names_traditional.html.

The nice thing about this site is that they have the name, with the "'" marks in the right places, although when you write your child's name you most likely won't use those marks, phonetic sound, and the meaning.

Take a look at the names that you might like and, if you are like me, you might want to write it out, practices yelling it (ha ha), but most of all, I'd pay attention to whether or not the name fosters connection and love between you and your child.

I guess that is why I really love that you thought of "Malia" because one day, when she is about 3 or 4 and she asks you why you named her "Malia", you can hold her close and tell her that she was a calm peaceful blessing to the family and that you love her. Imagine that moment...it is heaven.

Anyway, I hope that this helps out.

P.S.

If you want to know the names I gave my sons, here they are:

Kekoa Keliiokalani Hanamaikai Danner - Warrior King from Heaven

Ikaikaolahui Kanaka Kekaula Onalimapono Hanamaikai Danner - Prophet Who Rules With The Strength of Many Nations In His Blood

They are the most precious things in the world to me. They each needed a name of strength, that speaks to them of who they are in this world and in my family. What's in a name...wow, ALOT! Thanks again for your post.

My Ku'ulei said...

Sorry about the web address in my last post, it was incorrect. Here is the corrected one, and a couple of others just for fun:

http://www.alohafriendsluau.com/names_traditional.html

http://www.babynameworld.com/hawaiian.asp

http://www.20000-names.com/female_hawaiian_names.htm

~j. said...

I like "ika ika".

My Ku'ulei said...

Hey Azucar - it was good to see you stopped by. J told me she let you know what was up - yeah, excited is one word for my life - ha ha.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks and hi.

QueenScarlett said...

Love the meanings you gave your sons and THANK you for the links.

And... maybe it's because I'm all emotional and preggers... but you made me cry thinking about when I spend that special time with my daughters to explain their special meanings. Thanks for that.

La Yen said...

You'll always be KiKuchi to us, big Red.